A Family’s Cry for Peace



I have wrestled with whether to write this, but remaining silent has become harder than speaking. Over the years, I have watched my father endure repeated family conflict, hostility, and emotional distress. Recently, I received another call from my brother describing yet another confrontation involving a member of our extended family, Professor Lukman Jimoda. Hearing that news was painful—not because it was unexpected, but because it felt like history repeating itself.


This article is not about politics or personal rivalry. It is about an elderly father who deserves peace.


My father, Alhaji Abdulhammeed, is the only living Hadith scholar in Ede. His life has been devoted to the Qur’an—reading it, teaching it, and living by its principles. He is a family man who has never had an interest in politics. At this stage of his life, he deserves dignity, respect, and tranquility, not recurring disputes that rob him of sleep and place unnecessary stress on his health.


As a physician, I understand the devastating effects of chronic stress. During the COVID-19 pandemic, while managing the Family Medicine Outpatient Department at Federal Medical Centre, Bida, I witnessed firsthand how emotional trauma could leave wounds just as deep as physical illness. Some patients recovered from infection; others spent years recovering from intimidation, harsh words, and broken relationships.


When the same patterns continue within a family, people naturally begin to ask difficult questions. Why does conflict seem to follow certain individuals? Why are apologies so rare? Why does reconciliation remain so elusive? These are questions of character and judgment—not politics.


I have tremendous respect for the Governor of Osun State and have always found him approachable and respectful. Likewise, I hold the Adeleke family in high regard. Before leaving for Ukraine in December 2012 to pursue my medical education, I visited the palace of the respected Timi of Ede, Oba Munirudeen Adesola Lawal Laminisa 1, with my father. Kabiyesi prayed for my journey, a gesture I have never forgotten. It is because of that respect that I respectfully appeal to Kabiyesi. As the father of the community and someone Professor Lukman Jimoda regards as a father to call him to order.  I hope Kabiyesi will use his moral authority to encourage peace and reconciliation. I believe the Timi is uniquely positioned to call Professor Jimoda to order, remind him of our shared values, and help bring an end to the recurring family conflict. 


My concern is simple: my father deserves better.


No elderly man should spend his later years defending himself from repeated personal conflict. Every family experiences disagreements, but there comes a point when unresolved conflict becomes a burden carried by everyone.


I hope those who know the full story will encourage reflection, accountability, and reconciliation. If someone repeatedly finds themselves at the center of family disputes, it is fair to encourage honest self-examination.


My prayer is not for revenge. It is for peace.


May my father enjoy the respect he has earned after a lifetime of service. May truth prevail where there is confusion, wisdom overcome pride, and reconciliation triumph over division.


After all, the strongest person in the room is not the one who speaks the loudest, but the one who chooses peace.


Alli is the editor in chief of Brainiac Column and lives London.

For comments or correspondence: tijjal@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What actions should you take to lessen the effects of heat-related illnesses?